Baggage and Carry-On Policy
One (1) Personal item and one (1) Carry-On bag are always FREE on Silver Airways, and each passenger is allowed one (1) personal item that must easily fit under the seat or in an overhead compartment plus one (1) carry-on item. Carry-on items will have
to be valet checked at the gate due to aircraft restrictions and will be returned to you at the gate upon arrival.
All checked bag service charges are charged per bag, per person, one-way. Our baggage policies are different than other airlines due to the size of our overhead bins.
Silver Airways will accept checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) per bag in exchange for any applicable service charges (see Optional Services). Please be aware that certain overweight items of sporting equipment such as surfboards, scuba equipment and fishing gear may incur additional baggage service charges and items over 84 inches in length cannot be carried. Baggage service charges apply at any point where bags are checked. Service charge amounts are charged per person, per bag, one-way - see note below regarding baggage service charges when travel involves Silver and another airline.
For a trip that includes one or more connections, bags will be checked to your final destination, and the service charge will apply for checking a bag from your origin to your destination. For a trip that includes a voluntary stopover, your bags will be checked to your stopover point, where you will collect your bags. When you resume travel, you may check your bags again, subject to applicable charges from the new point of check-in to the destination.
All checked bag prices are charged per bag, per person, one-way.
Baggage Service Charges paid online, through Reservations or at the airport are Non-Refundable. When paying baggage service charges online, travelers may pay for a maximum of 2 checked bags. If your baggage needs require you to check additional baggage, or baggage that is over the listed size and weight limits, please note the additional costs for overweight and oversize bags as shown in our Optional Services. Baggage service charges for overweight and/or oversize bags cannot be paid online and are collected at airport check-in as are charges for more than 2 bags. For more information, please review our Optional Services and the Contract of Carriage. When checking more than 2 items, the additional items (no more than 10 permitted) will be loaded on a standby/space available basis and handled in accordance with voluntary separation baggage rules:
When check-in requirements are not met or you have exceeded the checked baggage pieces limit (more than 2), it is possible your baggage may not arrive on your flight. If this occurs, your baggage will be sent on the next available flight with space permitting, tagged as ‘Voluntary Separation’ and when applicable, standby in addition to the standard checked baggage tag. It is the responsibility of the passenger to return to the airport for the retrieval of the impacted baggage upon notification of arrival.
When checking more than 2 items, the additional items (no more than 10 permitted) will be loaded on a standby/space available basis and handled in accordance with voluntary separation baggage rules.
Prohibited items for Carry-on Baggage:
The Transportation Security Administration publishes a list of items that can be packed in your carry-on bags.
Carry-on baggage may be required to be planeside valet checked prior to boarding the aircraft due to the size of the overhead bins in our aircraft. As a result, certain items are prohibited from being transported in the cargo compartment and Silver Airways requires that the following items be brought on board inside a personal item such as a backpack or purse rather than valet checked at the gate or aircraft:
Spare lithium batteries (for portable devices / laptops)
Smart Bag lithium battery packs
eCigarettes and vaping devices
Prohibited items for both Carry-on and Checked Baggage:
The Transportation Security Administration publishes a list of items that can be packed in your carry-on and checked baggage.
Please review our entire list of prohibited items in our Hazardous Materials section which includes but is not limited to:
Travelers exempt from baggage service charges:
Active-duty U.S. military personnel get up to 2 free of charge checked bags up to 70 pounds each with a maximum dimension of 62 linear inches; all other baggage service charges and rules apply for checked baggage beyond that exemption. This allowance does not apply to the spouse or dependents of military personnel. Silver also offers a discount to active-duty personnel on their leisure travel.
What happens if you arrive without your bag(s)?
After reporting a delayed bag you will be given an ID number that you can use to track your bag(s) online using the Silver Airways delayed baggage tracking
For travel ticketed by a Silver Airways codeshare partner or interline partner
The baggage allowance and service charges of the first carrier in the itinerary will be applicable. For travelers who purchased a full fare first class ticket, with a connecting Silver Airways flight, no bag service charges apply when checking in with Silver Airways. The United MileagePlus credit card holder and United MileagePlus® Premier member baggage service charge waiver program doesn’t apply when checking in with Silver Airways as the first operating carrier.
Passengers are allowed to carry one (1) personal item aboard the aircraft. This item must fit easily in the confines under a passenger seat or fit in an overhead compartment regardless of where the item is eventually stowed. Examples of Personal Items include, but are not limited to:
- Small Backpack
- Camera / Camera Case
- Lady’s purse, pocketbook, or handbag
- Diaper bag
- Pet contained in a carrier that can be properly stowed
- Thin garment bag (if room allows)
The following items may be permitted on-board and do not count as Personal Items:
- Items of loose clothing, such as Hat, Overcoat or Wrap
- Reasonable amount of Reading Material
- Portable electronic devices (PEDs) such as smartphones, tablets, e-readers
- Crutches, canes, walker
- Approved medical devices (Oxygen concentrator, braces or other prosthetic devices, Orthotic positioning device, Life vest style defibrillator)
- Food to be consumed onboard
- Approved child restraint seat
- Fully collapsible stroller
- Service animal
Maximum personal item dimensions are 14” x 19” x 8.5” (for our SAAB 340 aircraft).
If a passenger has more than one personal item, they may consolidate them into one or the other item will be handled as a valet bag.
May NOT Be Brought Onboard1
May be Permitted Onboard as a Personal Item2
May Be Permitted Onboard3
|"Standard" size airline Carry-On bag such as "Roll-Aboard" suitcase||Brief Case||Reasonable amount of reading material|
|Large duffle bag||Small Back Pack||Food to be consumed onboard|
|Diaper Bag||Small Personal Electronic Device (PED) / Phone, iPad, e-reader, etc.|
|Small Overnight Case||Umbrella|
|Purse or Handbag||Items of loose clothing (i.e. hat, jacket, overcoat)|
|Computer Bag||Cane, Crutches, Walker|
|Camera/Camera Case||Approved medical devices:|
|Small Musical Instrument||Approve Child Restraint Seat|
|Small Toy, Radio, DVD Player, Video Game, etc.||Fully Collapsible Stroller|
|Pet contained in a carrier that can be properly stowed||Service Animal|
|Thin Garment Bag (if room allowed)||Large Musical Instrument or Cabin Baggage (an extra seat must be purchased)|
1 Must be checked plane-side as a Valet Bag
2 Each passenger is limited to one Personal item
3 Do not count as Personal item(s)
Portable Electronic Devices
Silver passengers are now able to use their portable electronic devices on all U.S. domestic flights on our fleet of Saab 340B+ aircraft. A portable electronic device (PED) is a small, lightweight, electrically or battery-powered device weighing 2 pounds or less such as a smartphone, tablet, e-reader or handheld computer game. These devices may be used while the aircraft is parked at the gate, and throughout the flight when switched to airplane mode or non-transmit mode.
Larger devices such as laptop computers and DVD players may be used when the aircraft is parked at the gate and the main cabin door is open. The flight crew will advise when these devices must be turned off and stowed prior to closing the main cabin door, and they must remain stowed in an overhead bin or under the seat in front of you during taxi, take-off and landing.
Portable Oxygen Concentrators
Portable oxygen concentrators (POCs) approved by the FAA, may be carried and used on board Silver Airways’ flights at no charge, in accordance with specific FAA guidelines.
Passengers needing to use a POC on board should advise Silver Airways of their oxygen requirement when making reservations. Passengers using a POC who make reservations with a travel agent or on the internet need to contact Silver Airways Reservations in advance of travel to ensure Silver Airways has all of the necessary information and can assist the passenger in meeting travel requirements. Silver Airways requires 48 hours advance notice and check-in one hour before the check-in time for the general public to use a Portable Oxygen Concentrator onboard the aircraft. Failure to meet this requirement will result in denied use of the POC during travel.
Flights operated by Silver Airways do not have an in-seat power source. The passenger must ensure he or she has ample batteries to power the POC for the duration of the flight, any ground connection time where the POC is planned to be used, plus three additional hours to allow for unanticipated delays.
The passenger must ensure all extra batteries are properly protected from short circuiting by having recessed battery terminals or by packaging the batteries so they do not contact metal objects, including the terminals of other batteries.
The passenger must have a signed written doctor's statement. We suggest printing this Medical Verification Statement.
The doctor's statement must:
• State the user of the POC has the physical and cognitive ability to see, hear and understand the device's aural and visual cautions and warnings and is able, without assistance, to take appropriate action in response to those cautions and warnings
• State whether or not oxygen use is medically necessary for all or a portion of the flight(s) listed on the passenger's itinerary
• Specify the maximum oxygen flow rate in liters per minute corresponding to the pressure in the cabin of the aircraft under normal operating conditions
• State the expected total operating time (duration) of the POC extends the entire length of the flight plus three hours.
• Must be kept by the passenger and provided upon request to Silver Airways’ personnel at any time during travel.
Some seating restrictions apply:
• The POC must be able to fit under the seat in front of the passenger
• A passenger using a POC may not be accommodated in any designated over-wing or floor-level exit seat
Portable oxygen concentrators are considered assistive devices. They do not count toward baggage limits whether or not they are used on board.
Note: When connecting to or from any other airline, the passenger is responsible for notifying and making independent arrangements directly with the other airline.
The following is the current list of FAA approved POCs
- The AirSep "Focus," manufactured by the AirSep Corporation
- The AirSep "Freestyle," manufactured by the AirSep Corporation
- The AirSep "Freestyle 5," manufactured by the AirSep Corporation
- The AirSep "Lifestyle," manufactured by the AirSep Corporation
- Delphi Central Air, manufactured by Delphi Medical Systems
- DeVilbiss "iGo," manufactured by DeVilbiss
- Inogen One, manufactured by the Inogen Corporation
- Inogen One G2, manufactured by the Inogen Corporation
- Inogen One G3, manufactured by the Inogen Corporation
- Inova Labs "LifeChoice Activeox," manufactured by Inova Labs
- International Biophysics "LifeChoice," manufactured by Inova Labs
- Invacare SOLO2, manufactured by Invacare Corporation
- Invacare XPO2, manufactured by Invacare Corporation
- OxLife "Independence," manufactured by OxLife Incorporated
- Precision Medical EasyPulse, manufactured by Precision Medical
- Respironics EverGo, manufactured by Respironics Inc.
- Respironics SimplyGo, manufactured by Respironics Inc.
- SeQual Eclipse, manufactured by SeQual Technologies Inc.
- SeQual SAROS, manufactured by SeQual Technologies Inc.
Other POC brands and models may be carried in the cabin with the batteries removed, if they meet Silver Airways’ assistive device carry-on size and weight requirements or they may be transported as checked baggage.